Monday, April 9, 2007

week of Feb 12-18th

Becky P's new weekly blog

Week of Feb 12-18th

This is my first weekly blog, another step in becoming a weekly columnist in a nationally syndicated paper. Starting out with something serious, I want to address the genocide going on, in and around Darfur, Africa. In the past two weeks, not a day has gone by where I do not think of this atrocity. I personally feel that the United States has a moral obligation to intervene in situations like these. How can we turn a blind eye to such great suffering? I know that the purpose of our Government is to protect the citizens of this country, but as human beings, we have a purpose to serve one another, and love one another. What's that saying, "all it takes for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing?" (Not an exact quote). How can you get involved? Go to www.savedarfur.org and learn about what's going on and what you can do to help. We live in the greatest most powerful country in the world, and with great power, comes great responsibility (there is wisdom in Spiderman comics). Just something to think and pray about.

I think I'm also going to have a good book of the week. This week is…. (drum roll, please): Modoc: The True Story of the Greatest Elephant That Ever Lived, by Ralph Helfer. It reminds me of a kid's book only it is written for adults, if that makes any sense. It has it all; love, adventure, shipwrecks, fires, and most of all, freakin' huge animals. After I was done reading this on Saturday afternoon, I had the urge to go to a wildlife refuge and see some elephants. I don't know of any around here, though. Shucks! Anywho, Modoc is a great book. There is a couple of passages that are not kid friendly so I would say it is probably a twelve year old and up book.

Useful fact of the week: During the winter, people living in Northern latitudes, probably are not getting enough Vitamin D (processed through sunlight). Ask your doctor about taking a supplement during the winter.

Useless fact of the week: "The cork is on the fork to prevent injury to himself or others."

I like to make lists: Top five weird dreams I have had recently

5. Ronald Reagan came over for a visit

4. I worked in a hospital and 3 guys robbed us and when they got caught I got to handcuff one of the guys because I've taken a Law Enforcement ROP class in high school.

3. I was the babysitter from Everwood and kissed Ephram at his house.

2. A friend of mine died and it was my job to convince his ghost that he was dead.

1. I was Rachel from Friends and Joey dared me to eat this little man made out of waffles. He was like a pyramid with a head and a waffle hat. So, I chased him down and ate him. Yum!!!

Quote of the week: "If to be feelingly alive to the sufferings of my fellow-creatures is to be a fanatic, I am one of the most incurable fanatics ever permitted to be at large."
- William Wilberforce

No comments: