Monday, April 9, 2007

weekly blog 03/15/07


Becky's Not So Deep Thoughts (I'm trying out different titles each week, let me know what you think) 03-15-07

When you can't get to sleep do you ever look at your clock and say to yourself, "okay, if I go to sleep right this minute, I can get 5 hours of sleep." And then about an hour later you look at your clock again and say aloud, "Now I can get 4 hours of sleep." And then you scream, "Why do I keep looking at the clock? It doesn't matter how many times I'm looking at it, I'm still not getting any sleep!" Ever happen to you? Yeah, me neither.

Anyway, thanks for all the responses last week. People are made happy by the weirdest things!

Coolest Acronym of the week: Forsaking All, I Trust Him or FAITH for short. I had never heard that before. Coolio.

My new word of the week: Coolio or Dealio. I'm pretty much adding io to the end of words. I'm not sure why. Maybe because it makes me sound more optimistic and I'm trying to break my tendency of being glass half empty.

Completely Random Fact: A Rhinoceros horn is made out of hair. How gross is that?

Useful fact? How to escape from quicksand: (Paraphrased from the book The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook)

1. If you're in quicksand country, you should carry a stout pole with you. If you don't have a pole try to carry a branch or something like that.

2. If you start to sink, lay the pole on the surface of the quick sand.

3. Flop onto your back on top of the pole. Try to float your body onto the quicksand.

4. Work the pole to a new position: under your hips and at right angles to your spine.

5. Take the shortest route to firmer ground, moving slowly.

Quote: "My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know if I do this you will lead me by the right road, though I may know nothing about it. Therefore I will trust you always thought I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone."

-Thomas Merton

(This is my favorite Merton saying)

No comments: