Friday, December 28, 2007

Things I've learned this year (or have been reminded of, or perhaps I knew all along)


Things I've learned about life and the world in general


  • A good computer (like my MacBook) needs a good name.
  • George is a good name for my MacBook.
  • Life is hard, and sometimes it really sucks. But, if you keep hope, you'll wade through all the crap, and get to the good stuff.
  • Diet Pepsi is the greatest beverage on earth.
  • Everything is funnier when it's said with a British or Australian accent.
  • There's this chemical that's called oxytocin (I think that's how it spelled) that is released in your brain when you cuddle with someone for more than 20 seconds. It causes you to "bond" with that person. The same chemical gets released when a mother holds her newborn baby. (I actually learned that in school)
  • Hondas suck! Or at least every Honda I've ever owned. I think I'll be buying an American made car this time around.

Things I've learned about other people


  • You know who your true friends are, when you screw up or when you fall on hard, uncomfortable times, or when life gets too hard to cope. The ones that are still by your side at the end of the day, are the worthwhile ones. The missing ones, were never really there to begin with. True friends are scarce, and you should hold those friendships sacred, because they are.
  • People that don't find the movie "Better off Dead" funny, are just simply, not funny people. There's something seriously wrong with them...seriously!
  • No matter how hard of shell people seem to have, there's always a creamy center underneath.
  • Babies and Chihuahuas can snore really, really loudly.
  • Confrontation is absolutely necessary in open and honest relationships. Because if someone really cares about you, they'll be courageous enough to say what needs to be said and they'll take the risk of you being mad at them for a while. If you really care about somebody, you'll be willing to take that hit.
  • McDreamy has sad eyes. And his sad eyes, kinda make me sad.

Things I've learned about myself


  • I don't give up on people, and I really like that quality about myself. I always have hope for a better situation. I'm an optimist with a pessimistic shell.
  • I've become a hugger (what's wrong with me???)
  • Not only do I have value in God's eyes, but I actually, deep down, believe it too. I've always known that I had value, but I didn't realize that I actually believed until a couple of months ago.
  • I'll never love going to school. But, I'm okay with that. I don't need to love it, I just need to get through it. And maybe, somewhere along the way, I might even enjoy it every now and again.
  • I want to marry someone with the passion of Steve Irwin. Someone that keeps me on my toes. Not necessarily jumping on crocs, but... I wouldn't be opposed to it.
  • Either I really like the look of shoes that I don't have to tie or I am way to lazy to tie my shoes.

Things I've learned about God


  • God's gonna wait until the timing is just right. He doesn't do a rushed, piss-poor job of things.
  • God uses different ways to get my attention. Whether it be an episode of Scrubs, a verse in the bible, a kind word from a friend, a harsh word from a friend, a car crash, or a pharmacy tech at Longs.
  • I've learned to be more comfortable expressing my doubts and insecurities about my faith, and about God. I've learned it's okay to have those moments, and it's okay to move on from them, also.
  • Can God cook a microwavable burrito so hot, that he can't eat it? Ok, I haven't learned the answer to this question yet, but I am working on it.

That's it for now. What did you learn this year?

No comments: